Hi! You’ve gone too far back in time, it seems! Looking for the latest Trends Guide? Check out the 2023 Endless Events Industry Trends Guide right here!
A new year is upon us! Now that the celebratory dust has settled, it’s a great time to check out event industry trends 2022. New year, new challenges; how will the pandemic affect the events industry in 2022? Can we solve the audience engagement challenge once and for all? What’s the best way to plan hybrid events? What technology solutions should we pay attention to? These topics present some of the biggest pain points for event planners.
We’ll touch upon all of these questions as well as exciting innovations. Our 22 event trends guide is based on our own extensive research and the knowledge of event professionals hosted on our podcasts. Both a novice planner as well as a seasoned veteran will undoubtedly find some value in this e-book. Download your free copy and see what we have to say about the year ahead of us!
2022 Event Industry Trends Guide: What You’ll Find
The 2022 event trends guide covers nearly all aspects of the events industry: event technology, production, strategy, and more. We start with a general note on the pandemic and COVID-19 compliance and work trends. We continue with trends for in-person events and dedicate a large portion of the e-book to hybrid events in 2022. Additionally, we offer our insights on the event strategy of the future and suggest the 365 community model as a sure way to succeed in 2022 and beyond.
The New Normal & COVID-19 Compliance
No 2022 event trends guide is complete without a note on the pandemic. If there’s anything we’ve learned in the last two years, it’s that the only certain thing about the new normal is the uncertainty itself. This year, we’re refraining from making guesses about the COVID-19 pandemic. Instead, we focus on what we have control over: COVID-19 compliance at events.
COVID-19 compliance was a huge topic in 2021, and it will continue to be the backbone of event safety moving forward. New protocols, such as health screenings, are supported by new event technology solutions, such as CrowdPass.
Working In The Events Industry In 2022
Before we tackle 2022 event trends themselves, we also dedicate a chapter to all of us who work in the events industry – 2022 work trends, if you will. After all, our events are only as good as the event profs who work in the events industry. The pandemic set in motion a workplace revolution. The three trends that most shaped our industry in 2021 and will continue to do so in 2022 are the Great Resignation, investments in event tech giants and acquisitions, and remote work.
- The Great Resignation. The events industry is among the most affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Many got laid off and sought work elsewhere. Additionally, workers started resigning, causing a labor shortage (or as we call it, a compensation crisis). Many event profs went where the money is: in the event tech industry.
- Event Tech Investments & Acquisitions. In 2021, we saw huge investments in event platforms as well as many notable acquisitions. Undoubtedly, there are more to come in 2022.
- Remote Work. Remote work is here to stay. Companies will increasingly focus on cyber hygiene, cyber security, and employee wellbeing. Work software and virtual meetings will keep on thriving.
2022 event trends as they relate to in-person events. Aside from large-scale, industry events, we predict that in-person events in 2022 will be more localized and smaller. Ballrooms and hotel catering will give way to independent, more unique venues and local restaurants. That way, your attendees will have more autonomy in choosing the ways they want to spend their time.
The Biggest 2022 Event Trend: Hybrid Events
We’ve been saying this for a while now: hybrid events are the way of the future. Undoubtedly, they’re the 2022 event trend that holds the most promise and potential. The guide explains just how creative event planners can get with this event model and how to blur the boundaries between the in-person and the virtual audiences.
- Why Hybrid. We outline four reasons why we believe hybrid events are THE 2022 event trend to look out for: sustainability, global reach, diversity and inclusivity, and flexibility.
- Hybrid Models For 2022. Hybrid events come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. We put a spotlight on two hybrid event models: the Satellite model and the Star model (best executed in a hybrid event studio).
Event Strategy & Event Technology
The new year is the perfect time to rehash your pre-existing event strategy and the way we approach budgeting. Namely, event planners are advised to make event technology the centerpiece of their event strategy moving forward. From identifying your event goals to measuring success with KPIs, we explain what role event platforms play in the event strategy of 2022.
With that in mind, we bring the reader’s attention to two 2022 event trends that forward-thinking and experienced event planners have surely already heard of. We believe the community model and choose-your-own-adventure style of engagement are a sure way to success.
- The 365 Community Model. Nurture your community on your chosen event platform with on-demand content, networking opportunities, and much more. Community marketing is by no means anything new, but it’s only now starting to revolutionize the events industry.
- Audience Engagement: Choose Your Own Adventure. Audience engagement remains one of the biggest concerns for event planners. Giving your attendees enough autonomy so they can decide how they want to participate in your event is key!
Those who’ve been consistently following event trends year after year will see that this year’s event trends are much like last year’s. It’s not the trends that have changed – it’s mostly our attitude towards them. While we can never be fully certain what the future holds these days, we have also learned a thing or two about managing the unknown in the past two years.
We might be faced with some limitations or restrictions within which we have to operate, but with the right event technology and creativity on our side, we can nonetheless create impactful experiences – be it virtually, in-person, or a little bit of both.
We hope our 2022 event trends guide will help many event planners, both beginners and veterans, plan events and build communities. After all, aren’t events all about people and human connection? So, download your free copy today – and happy planning!